Author Topic: Blacklist and email  (Read 7315 times)

Offline sam

• No flame
Blacklist and email
« on: October 21, 2004, 05:09:53 PM »
Hi!
First of all, I'd like to thank you for your good work on Blacklist. My blog was getting hundreds of spam comments every 4 hours, and it finally stopped with Blacklist plugin.
But, I have enabled in my wp-settings «Email-me when anyone posts a comment.» which I really need, because sometimes I get comments on old posts. The problem I'm facing now is that Blacklist blocks spam comments, but I get my mail flooded anyway because WP sends me an email telling me it received a comment (even if it was deleted after by Blacklist).
How can I stop WP of sending emails notifying me about the arrival of comments that  were deleted by Blacklist?

I hope I've explained myself clearly. I don't want you to think that I'm talking about the "send email on comment deletion" option.

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Blacklist and email
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 06:53:59 PM »
You've explained the problem perfectly fine - besides, I knew of this particular problem anyway :p If you read the readme file included with WPBlacklist, you'll notice that under installation/upgrade instructions, I give an optional step to modify the WP core code. That step is to fix precisely the problem you're facing. Just be sure to make backup copies of the files you're changing before you do anything else though since I don't want you to be left with a mess on your hands after the changes. Hope this helps.

Offline sam

• No flame
Blacklist and email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 09:30:48 AM »
Thank you. I think it's working, or at least, I'm seeing no spam at all.
I thought that the code that was on the README was for people who didn't have the auto-aprooval setting enabled.

Great Work, Fahim. Great plugin.
 :)

Offline solace

• No flame
Blacklist and email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 07:24:59 AM »
i'm still receiving emails telling me i have new comments awaiting moderation, but they were deleted via the blacklist plugin. i tried the suggestion in the readme, but i think i might have done something wrong.

can you explain in a bit more detail, what i need to do/change, so that i only get notifications on comments that are legit?

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
Blacklist and email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 04:33:16 PM »
I am not certain how exactly to explain the changes in more detail since the documentation basically gives you the code chunk as it exists now and what it should be changed to. What else would you like me to explain it? This is not a peeved response - just trying to understand how I could better explain it.

You say you tried the changes. What happened after you tried to change the code? Did you have any errors? Plus, your expectations of what you want might be different from what the code is actually doing. So if you explained what exactly you wanted to be notified of, it might help. There are three types of notifications if you're running WPBlacklist as well:

1. Notifications by WP of a comment successfully posted - these notifications arrive even when WPBlacklist automatically deletes a comment due to a bug in WP code. This is what the code changes given in the WPBlacklist readme file is supposed to fix.

2. Notifications by WP of a comment held for moderation.

3. Notificaitons by WPBlacklist that a comment was deleted.

Offline solace

• No flame
Blacklist and email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 04:41:48 PM »
i made the change to the bottom of wp-comments-post.php hoping i would no longer recieve the emails for comments that have been blacklisted, but i still am.

any ideas?

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
Blacklist and email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 07:18:15 AM »
Have you changed the option in WordPress (under the WP control panel) to not send you notifications when a message is posted, as well? The changes I suggested are just to stop the notifications coming *all* the time - you have to manually turn them off to stop them coming for legitimate posts. If you did do this already, then could you e-mail me the file that you changed according to my instructions? I can see if you'd made a mistake with putting in the changes ...

Offline solace

• No flame
Blacklist and email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 07:23:29 AM »
ahhhhh, so there is no way to have it just notify you of actual legit comments but not comments deleted as spam/blacklisted, gotcha. that's too bad.

i suppose i can deal w/ it. it's one spammer, and i just created a rule in my email program to delete it off the server.

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
Blacklist and email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 06:14:56 AM »
I am still not clear on your situation. If you get double e-mails on deleted ones - one which says "A new comment has been posted" and again another one for the same comment saying "Comment has been automatically deleted by the WPBlacklist" then that is the situation which was supposed to be fixed by the optional code changes mentioned in the WPBlacklist.

If you simply want to turn off the "Comment has been automatically deleted by teh WPBlacklist" messages, then just go to the WPBlacklist control panel under the Plugins tab in the WP Control Panel and uncheck the box which says "Send e-mail on automatic deletion". That will take care of those notifications.

If you just want the new comment notifications turned off, then you need to turn off the new comment notification option under WP. I think I've covered all the options, haven't I? :)

Offline solace

• No flame
Blacklist and email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 07:29:19 AM »
:x

ok, the problem is... i WANT to get emails from WP when i have new comments. however, i was hoping that there was a workaround to filter out getting emails from comments that have been deleted via your Blacklist plugin, but from what you've explained, it sounds like there is not currently a way. that it's either all or none.

:wink:

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
Blacklist and email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 02:20:23 PM »
There is a workaround - the workaround is the code changes listed in the readme file for WPBlacklist as an optional step in the install/upgrade process. However, you will need to modify one of the core WP files and so you'll need to know what you are doing :) If you are going to attempt this, I suggest you create a backup of the file that you'll need to change before you do anything else ...

Offline solace

• No flame
Blacklist and email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 02:24:50 PM »
see i tried that workaround. the part that you change towards the end of wp-comments-post.php right? but it still emails me on comments that have been deleted via the Blacklist plugin.

i'm using version 1.2.1 if you care

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
Blacklist and email
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 12:18:53 PM »
Hmm .. then I'm all out of ideas. Somebody else did mention that sometimes turning on/off comment notifications doesn't work for certain people but I don't know for certain that this is indeed the case or not ... sorry :-(