Author Topic: Blacklist not working  (Read 4929 times)

Offline nossenigma

• No flame
Blacklist not working
« on: October 31, 2004, 10:48:24 PM »
Up until a few days ago i had used the original WPBlacklist hack, but upgraded to the new 2.61 version after some rave reviews:

It has installed fine, with no errors at all, however it just doesn't work as it should. If i perform a search inside the config panel using the blacklist, the spam comments show up. But they are not blocked from appearing on the page, meaning i am essentially moderating everything...recieving 100's of spam comments per day. I've ticked all of the blacklist options except "Delete comments which are already held for moderation".

I can't figure it out! I've deleted the table, overwritten all the files, remove trailing whitespaces from all involved php files and reinstalled...but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Blacklist not working
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 11:31:44 AM »
You're hold all comments for moderation right? That's the problem :p WPBlacklist does not do anything with comments already held for moderation - the reasoning being that WPBlacklist shouldn't process comments since they are already on hold. Enabling "Delete comments held for moderation outside of WPBlacklist" would not help either since it would simply delete all comments held for moderation and since you are holding all comments for moderation, this means that each and every one of your comments are deleted. The solution would be to turn of automatic moderation of all comments and let the core WP spam monitoring (the number of links) and WPBlacklist do the actual work for you ... Hope this helps :)

Offline nossenigma

• No flame
Blacklist not working
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 06:15:41 PM »
No, i don't hold all the comments for moderation. What i meant was that the only way that the blacklist seems to be working for me is by searching manually via the WPBlacklist search screen and delete the blacklist matches i find. This doesn't make sense, because if they are being found by WPBlacklist at the search screen, why are they not being deleted on-the-fly?

Not knowing how the plugin works, it seems as though WPBlacklist is not being triggered to work when a comment is posted???

NEWSFLASH: Just as i was typing this i had a hunch and deactivated ScriptyGodesses SubscribeToComments plugin (STC). It seems that that is the culprit...WPBlacklist is working fine now! :D

I upgraded STC to v.1.4.4 and it's all working fine now. It seems that v.1.4.2 was playing about with the comment_status quite selfishly, but was fixed in the new version.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!  :D

Thanks

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Blacklist not working
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 09:29:01 PM »
Yes, that would do it :p Some comment management plugins don't seem to play nice with other comment management plugins. Heck, I even have one person telling me that WPBlacklist doesn't play nice with other plugins - I still have to check on that one though and so don't know for sure that this is indeed the case. However, it is possible that if you have multiple comment management plugins, that something might not work ... but you know that already now :)