Author Topic: blacklist & wp comment moderation  (Read 5406 times)

Offline loid

• No flame
blacklist & wp comment moderation
« on: November 04, 2004, 08:51:44 PM »
This may or may not be blacklist-related, however, after installing 2.6.1 on WP 1.2.1, I realized that I was receiving email notification for all comments. I'd never had the notification check box turned on. Now, even after turning off the requirement to fill in a name and email address, I continue to get email requests for comment moderation. And alas, my programming prowess is insufficient to find the correct code snippet that might contain a "1" where a "0" would serve better.

Have you heard of this problem and/or do you think it could be plugin related?

Thanks for your time.

Loid

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 04:26:21 PM »
Nope, I haven't heard about this particular problem. It could be other plugin related however since there was a bug in WPBlacklist which prevented it from playing nice with other plugins. The latest release WPBlacklist 2.6.2 should fix that particular problem. You can get it from the WPBlacklist page at: http://sm.farook.org/WPBlacklist.htm

If that is not the problem, then you've not made the option core code modification that is mentioned in the WPBlacklist readme file? I don't think you have but just wanted to make sure you hadn't to eliminate another possibility ...

Offline loid

• No flame
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 06:39:56 PM »
THanks for the quick reply! After further investigation, I think it's a bug in WP. I've found others with the same problem, which first occurred in 1.2 beta. For some, like me, once you turn comment moderation on, you can't turn it back off. Eventually I'll find a hack-around.

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 07:22:35 AM »
If it's a bug in WP, then all you'll need to do is find the appropriate setting in the WP config table and change it since WP gets all the settings from the database. Of course, if you are going to be messing around with any of the WP database tables, I'd suggest that you first take a backup so as to be able to recover if something goes wrong :p

Offline Cecil

• No flame
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 11:35:08 AM »
There is a bug somewhere in the Plugin where a space (or maybe its a null) can be entered into the blacklist table, regex_type=url. Once that happens all comments get auto deleted or held for moderation, which one happens probably depends on the plugin settings, I suppose or the phase of moon.

The cure is to get rid of that space which you can do by the Plugins->Blacklist-Configuration->Manage . Down at the bottom in the delete url box you enter a space and push the button. This gets you an long list of what I believe is the entire blacklist table. It's painful but start and the bottom and scroll up until to find the empty URL field. Check it for deletion and push the button.