Author Topic: Minor Feature Requests  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Cecil

• No flame
Minor Feature Requests
« on: November 29, 2004, 12:12:11 PM »
Two ideas.

(1) It's not a big deal but an Email address is not the same as a URL. I came across this when I was harvesting and rejecting based on email address which I suspect is where a space got entered in the database since my blog doesn't require an email address to comment. If you checked email addresses differently from comment body content we could write regexp's that better fit email addresses

(2) I don't know enough WP/PHP to know whether this is possible or not, but if a comment fails the blacklist checks, could you return an 4XX error code (with an option to send a 301 redirect back to the posting IP). It probably won't stop the comment spam but dead links might eventually get purged out of their spam database.

Thanks for all your good work, Fahim.

Offline john1000

• No flame
Minor Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 10:29:35 PM »
hi,

yeah i noticed it to.
i just dumped my whole blacklist table because it contained a empty line that causes every comment to be deleted and marked as spam.

and it blacklisted me everytime as i was trying it all out.
point to this.....my email address was listed as url...
very weird ...

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Minor Feature Requests
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 10:41:49 AM »
Sorry about overlooking this one but I never let anybody post without an e-mail address - yes, I know that can be gotten around very easily but I still think of that as the first line of defence in making sure that comments posted to my site are legit. So I never looked at validating that field - totally forgot that you can turn it off :p Cecil has already submitted some validation stuff for this and I'll include that in the next release ...

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Minor Feature Requests
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 10:44:14 AM »
Quote from: john1000
hi,
my email address was listed as url...
very weird ...

Not sure what you meant there - of course, as has been already pointed out,  in WPBlacklist, there is no distinction between URLs, e-mail addys and regular expressions. They are all bunched together under the URL category. So there might be some problems in verbiage in notification e-mails and so on but shouldn't be any major concern for alarm ... at least, I hope not :)