Author Topic: What license is WPBlacklist distributed under?  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Saint Aardvark

• No flame
What license is WPBlacklist distributed under?
« on: December 28, 2004, 10:33:02 PM »
Hi there -- first off, thanks very, very much for WPBlacklist.  It's keeping my blog free of comment spam, and I've recommended it to friends running WordPress.  It's a great bit of work.

However, I'm thinking of changing a couple things in it, and I can't tell if I'm allowed to do that, or if I'm allowed to distribute changes.   I've checked the files in the plugin itself, along with your blog, the download page and this support forum, and I can't seem to find any  mention of a license.

WordPress itself is distributed under the GPL, which means I can change it and distribute those changes freely.  Is WPBlacklist distributed under the GPL, or under another similar license?

Thanks again for your time and for your work.

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 04:50:18 PM »
To be honest, I hadn't actually thought about the licensing aspect of it. I myself started coding on WPBlacklist by simply taking the original WPBlacklist hack that LaughingLizard had coded and making a plugin out of it. I then offered the code back to LaughingLizard and told him that he could continue maintaining it if he wanted to or that I could do it and he said that I could go ahead and maintain the code and so here we are. If you make any chnages to the code and they add any significant functional enhnacement to WPBlacklist, I'd rather that you submit it back to me so that I can incorporate it into the WPBlacklist distribution that I do. I feel that way, a lot more people would benefit from a single codebase than several people doing different distros. Of course, you'd be given credit for your changes and if you want to continue doing your own development, you are free to do so but I'd prefer to have any enhnacements incorporated into the release I do if possible :)

Offline Saint Aardvark

• No flame
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 09:47:42 PM »
Quote from: Fahim
If you make any chnages to the code and they add any significant functional enhnacement to WPBlacklist, I'd rather that you submit it back to me so that I can incorporate it into the WPBlacklist distribution that I do. I feel that way, a lot more people would benefit from a single codebase than several people doing different distros.

I'd be happy to...the one thing I want to make sure of is that if those changes are turned down for whatever reason (I'm not a great coder, and I won't necessarily have the same idea of what the plugin should do) I'd be free to distribute changes and/or a forked version on my own.

Quote from: Fahim
Of course, you'd be given credit for your changes and if you want to continue doing your own development, you are free to do so but I'd prefer to have any enhnacements incorporated into the release I do if possible :)

...which seems to be what you're saying here, but it would be good, if it's what you want, to formalize that by giving WPBlacklist a license.

As I said, I'd be happy to give you any changes; plus, I'm not that great a coder, and I may not have the same idea as you of how the plugin should work.  I doubt very much it'd ever be an issue.  But Just In Case etc.

Again, thanks for your work and for taking the time to reply.