Author Topic: Blog 8 Bug List  (Read 29500 times)

Offline Tyran

• Inferno
  • Grizzled Guru
    • The Whinery
Blog 8 Bug List
« on: January 19, 2005, 10:03:54 PM »
Post any bugs you might find in the current beta here.

To keep this thread as useful as possible, do the following when posting here:

1. Make sure you are using the most current beta version of Blog (check http://www.farook.org/index.htm  for the latest version). Blog 8 Beta 3 shows version 7.903 on the about dialog (see Help menu option About).
2.  Write down the steps needed to reproduce the bug.  If a bug cannot be reliably reproduced, there's little chance that Fahim will actually be able to fix the bug.
3.  If Blog is crashing or locking up, try running Blog while no other programs are running and see if the problem still happens.
4.  When posting your bug, use the following format:

Version: 7.903
Summary:  Write a descriptive summary of what the bug is doing (or not doing).
Details:
1.  Give step by step directions on what has to be done to reproduce the problem.
2.  Yes, give every little detail.

And finally, don't post feature suggestions in this thread.  Use it only for bug reports.

Offline Tyran

• Inferno
  • Grizzled Guru
    • The Whinery
Create Hyperlink dialog tab order and other related issues
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 10:14:06 PM »
Summary: The tab order on the Create Hyperlink (ctrl+L) dialog is basically unuseable and none of the option have hotkeys assigned.  Also, when reopening the dialog the last focused control is now the current focused control instead of the URL field having focus.

Details:
1.  Open the dialog by pressing ctrl+L or using the context menu.
2.  Press tab to see the tab order:

0. URL
1. http:// check box
2. OK button
3. Cancel button
4. Other Attributes field
5. Target
6. Browse Button

3. Note that none of the options have hot keys assigned.
4. Close the dialog using the X at the top right and reopen the dialog to see that the last control to have focus still has focus (closing by clicking OK or pressing enter will place focus on the OK button when reopening the dialog, clicking Cancel or press Esc will place focus on the Cancel button when the dialog is reopened).

I would recommend the following tab order and hotkeys:
0. URL
1. Browse Button
2. Target
3. http:// check box
4. Other Attributes field
5. OK button
6. Cancel button
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 10:22:27 PM by Tyran »

Offline Tyran

• Inferno
  • Grizzled Guru
    • The Whinery
Calendar does not update
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 02:05:55 AM »
Version: 7903
Summary: The calendar which shows which days have posts does not always update.

Details:
1. Change to any month other than the current one.
2. Click Today to show the current date and instead of showing which dates have posts, either no dates will be in bold or only the first will be bolded.
3. Similarly, changing journals does not update the calendar under any circumstances.

Workaround:
1. Use either the previous or next month buttons to navigate to the next/previous month and then back to have the calendar show dates with posts correctly.

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Re: Blog 8 Bug List
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 02:42:59 PM »
First of all Ty, thanks for setting up such an orderly and efficient way to submit bugs - I wanted to thank you yesterday but somehow it felt wrong to post something here that wasn't bug related :p Is the new date bolding bug different from the one which existed in Blog 7.x? It has been a while and I don't remember the exact code ... Changing the journal certainly should trigger the bolding again - that is definitely a bug but the month thing might be the old limitation in the date control in Delphi since it doesn't seem to fire a change event when you change the month or the year by clicking on the Month name or year name. Or something like that ... again, the details are hazy in my mind now :p

Offline Wayfarer

• Bonfire
    • La Bitacora del Caminante
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:32:45 PM »
Is the new date bolding bug different from the one which existed in Blog 7.x?

Version: Blog 7.10
Summary: The calendar which shows which days have posts does not always update.

Details & Workaround: Sure, the same as in 7.903 ;-)

-- Wayfarer

P.S. Fahim, you should make this topic 'sticky' in the forum  :-)
My website: www.thewayfarer.info
My search site: www.cannotbefound.com
My music: www.amadian.com

Offline Tyran

• Inferno
  • Grizzled Guru
    • The Whinery
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 10:32:37 PM »
Yup, I had forgotten about that but you've both hit the nail on the head and the Today thing is indeed a hold over from 7.10.  I can't remember if I (or anyone else) had noticed/reported the journal change not triggering the calendar update or not.

Just a heads up, I'm still trying to reliably reproduce this one, using undo (ctrl+z) will occasionally erase the text of the current entry and last night this nasty bug actually overwrote my current entry with the previous one and saved the entry...painful.  Anyway, later today I'll setup a fresh install and see if I can reproduce the thing (I don't want to try reproducing it on my live install for some crazy reason).

I'm glad that you find this thread useful Fahim.

Offline Kwark

• No flame
    • Kwark
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 04:06:57 AM »
Blog Version: 7.903
Summary: Archive link doesn't show up if there is only one entry in the very first month/week

Details (with empty archive):
1) Use <$blogarchive> in the template
2) Archive publishing set to weekly
3) Create one and only one entry in some week
4) Create a/some entrieies in the next week
5) Publish
6) The link tot the archive of the first week doesn't show up, the next week does.

Workaround
1) Create another entry in the first week

More information:
http://forums.farook.org/index.php?topic=181.0

:mrgreen: (couldn't resist adding the smiley  :-D)

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 05:06:16 PM »
Ah yes, this is one which has been cropping up on and off. Each time I think I've fixed it, it seems to crop up again somewhere :p Thanks for identifying the condition under which this particular problem occurs this time since last time it was (I think) when you had one entry for the last week of a month - or something similar. Will fix it as soon as I can :)

Offline coolcold

• No flame
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 05:33:08 AM »
hi everyone, I am new here and just found this terribly  :mrgreen: program  :-D  I would like to say big thanks to the author since this program is what my dream program is like :wink: (also going to use this to write webpage but uses category archiving giving the "same" effect).

Anyway, not to off topic, i just wanna say i think i found a small bug
version: 7.903
Summary:  typo when mouse hover on "with posts" in blog options->general
Details:
the days will include only days with pots<----should this be post?

thanks,
coolcold

Offline coolcold

• No flame
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 07:44:45 AM »
Summary: <$BlogSummary> and <$BlogMore> does not show anything
Details:
set to publish using category with <$BlogSummary> in the template but no character appearing
using <$BlogEntry> in the same place works though

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005, 02:46:13 PM »
The <$BlogSummary> should have worked, I will look into it - <$BlogMore> has issues in the 8.0 betas at the moment since it has to be revamped for the new release - it's going to get it's own field where you enter the More text and the tag will be dropped ...

Offline Tyran

• Inferno
  • Grizzled Guru
    • The Whinery
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 08:10:21 PM »
ver 7.904

Summary:  Initial backup before upgrade fails.  NOTE: Bug already reported via email, posted here for posterity.

Workaround: Backup data using current install before installing ver7.904

1. Install beta (upgrade current install)
2. Run the new blog.exe
3. Dialog asks if I want to backup my data before upgrading, click yes. (already had a backup but the more the merrier :))
4. Save backup to d:\My Documents\test.zip (any location other than the blog install directory).
5. DBISAM Engine Error #11010 Table 'd:\My Documents\Journal.Dat' does not exist.
6. Click OK
7. New error tblBlogs: Field 'ID' not found.
8. Click OK, receive field 'ID' error again.
9. Click OK
10. Error 11010 again table 'D:\Dev\Delphi\Blog\ServerBlogs.DAT' does not exist (presumably the location of your development files)
11. Click OK and another #11010 table not found, D:\Dev\Delphi\Blog\Entries.DAT
12. OK and another #11010 for D:\Dev\Delphi\Blog\Snippet.DAT
13. Ok and a final #11010 for D:\Dev\Delphi\Blog\Blogs.DAT
14. Blog finishes loading with no data.
15. Close the program and reopen (select no to backup dialog) and it opens fine with all my data.
16. Deleted upgraded install, restored my backup folder, upgraded, clicked no to the backup and seems to be working perfectly.
17. Backup from the tools menu works as expected, so the problem only happens during the initial upgrade backup.

Offline Tyran

• Inferno
  • Grizzled Guru
    • The Whinery
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 08:52:07 PM »
ver 7.904

Summary: Spellcheck in HTML view locks program when the mispelled word is selected.

Workaround: Make any other program active and then go back to Blog to clear the lock.

Details:
1. Make sure HTML view is the active view
2. Goto any entry with a misspelled word (any red squiggly will do)
3. Double click the offending word
4. Right click and select spellcheck
5. Both the spellcheck pop-up menu you would see in WYSIWYG mode that shows suggestions and the full spellcheck dialog box open
6. Mouse and Keyboard access to Blog is now locked out
7. Activate any other program and then return to Blog to clear the pop-up menu and the lock out condition
8. This problem will recur anytime that a word is selected and the spellcheck option is selected from the pop-up menu

NOTE ADDITIONAL INFO
This bug can be triggered with first selecting the misspelled word.  All that is required is for the cursor to be within the word and that you right click on that same word.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 09:40:53 AM by Tyran »

Offline Tyran

• Inferno
  • Grizzled Guru
    • The Whinery
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 08:59:23 PM »
v7.904

Summary: Archives are created for local sites only.

Workaround: None

Under v7.903 I setup two sites for each journal.  One publishes directly to my site via FTP and generates my index page and archives.  The other publishes locally only and generates my rss file.  I then correct the date formatting and upload the file manually.

Under v7.904 I specified the date and time formatting and set the rss site to publish via FTP.  The index and rss files generate properly but I encountered two problems when generating archives: The first one I noticed was that the archives generated by the second (rss) feed were one the site instead of the files I actually needed.1 I changed the file extention for the rss archive files so I would be able to identify them and delete them (they are unwanted) from the site and regenerated the archives.  I then discovered that only the rss site was generating archive files, the original site (which was unchanged) was only publishing an archive index file but no actual archive pages.  No matter what I tried, I could not get v7.904 to publish archive pages from that original site and now it's to the point where it won't publish archive files anywhere but locally even though I have deleted both sites and recreated them to match the data in my backup of v7.0903.

I have rolled my install back to v7.903 and setup a new, fresh install of v7.904 to see if I can A) Successfully publish archives via FTP and B) See if I can determine at what point the failure described above begins.

1 This brings up a suggestion to introduce an option to prevent a site from publishing archives at all even when the site is set to Active.  You might consider a radio button group with options Auto-archive, Manual archive, No archive.

Offline albud

• No flame
    • Penn trout.org
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »
I am getting a socket error when I post to my FTP site. Version 7.1 doesn't give me this error