Author Topic: Ideas/Questions  (Read 5518 times)

Offline eos

• No flame
Ideas/Questions
« on: December 22, 2002, 05:56:42 AM »
Ive got an /question regarding the usability of blog.  

For one, now that I have blog posts working thru email, I would like to direct your attention to http://www.danger.com  That is the phone/mobile internet device that I wanted to get email blog working for.  Now I can sit on the bus and post to my blog from virtually anywhere which is pretty cool.  If you notice, it has a cheesy little low res camera attachment, and I was wondering if there would ever be anyway to email a post to blog with a .jpg attachment and html for img src in the email and have blog upload the picture to the defined graphics directory, and CHMOD to make the image viewable.  It would be pretty cool if I could be walking down the street, see something interesting, take a pic, write a blurb and blog it on the spot.  I dunno how many others would find that useful, probably not many, but its just an idea.  (for examples of the images the hiptop can take see My pics page.

I also wondered at one point, and I don't recall why, if it would be possible to create customized blog tags.  Something where the user could define several tags in the <$Keyword> format and the functions they are to perform.  I don't remember but I think I was thinking it would be soemthing the user could type in the post (not in the template) and then blog would replace the tag with its defined function before uploading.  Again, probably not all that useful, dont even remember why I thought of it, but I did so there ya go!   :P

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Ideas/Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 10:21:35 AM »
Actually, Blog in Server mode already supports attachments :p Of course, there are a couple of caveats: 1) The attachments are always treated as images (this is not always a problem but if you have a special image directory - the attachments will always be uploaded there instead of to your main Blog directory) 2) Blog will not put in the image link since then the only place the link goes will be at the bottom of the post whereas you (the author) might actually want to refer to the image somewhere else in the post - so you have to explicitly put the link for the image file. Given those two caveats, the sending of images via e-mails is already in place :p

The custom Blog tags feature probably would be implemented in Blog 8.0 but not exactly the way you are thinking of :p It will be implemented as a plug-in architecture but the problem with that is that you will need to know how to code Blog plug-ins to implement a new tag - not as simple as defining a tag and the actions the tag is supposed to take ...

Offline eos

• No flame
Ideas/Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 04:11:18 PM »
I see.  How about the CHMOD bit?  When I email to blog and it posts and saves the image to the directory, it is saved with standard file permissions.  Is there a Unix feature where I can change what permissions are standard?  Or, if not, is that something that might be doable in blog one day?

Offline nysa

• No flame
    • http://www.nysa.nu/blog/
Ideas/Questions
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 06:36:38 AM »
This could be a nice feature; an option that could be set in blog to decide what access rights applies for an uploaded file. Not all ftp servers have the functionality to change this, though. Actually, I had this problem with my archives too, that when they were published, they were not accessible by anyone... As I'm running my own ftp server, this is possible to workaround. In inetd.conf I start the in.ftpd with the setting of UMASK:

[code:1]ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.ftpd -u 022[/code:1]

In that way, all files put onto my server are accessible by anyone.

Offline eos

• No flame
Ideas/Questions
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 09:14:29 AM »
You know, I tried to set UMASK to 022 as well, but it didn't seem to change anything.  I even set it up in my .cshrc file and it still didn't do anything before OR after logoff.  I am fairly certain the FTP server allows CHMOD commands because I can do a CHMOD command from WSFTP.  Anyway, even if I can get UMASK to work, I would rather not have all newly created files set to 022 because I have other directories in my filespace I would prefer to keep private.  Pretty much all of the directories except for public_html.  I am using a unix account on my schools server BTW.  Anywho, it was just an idea, I thought it might make remotely posting of images and files a tad bit more functional.