Author Topic: the purpose of the "EXTRA" tab - latest beta  (Read 6444 times)

Offline dleigh

• No flame
    • LeighWeb
the purpose of the "EXTRA" tab - latest beta
« on: April 26, 2006, 08:50:09 PM »
Hi,
Realizing that BLOG doesn't get all of Fahim's creative juices, I don't come to the forum often to salivate for new releases... :-)

But, I came today and checked out the latest postings and noticed in the long "bugs" thread that there was some promising banter about the latest build and how this had been fixed and that was still a problem, etc.

Well, I high-tailed it to download the latest version: Beta 8 build 55. :lol:

(a quick note - when the installer asks to backup and you say "yes", he takes you to the back up directory that you currently use for BLOG.  But, he assumes that this is the directory that he will find all the ".DAT" files in.  If this is NOT the case, then he errors-off and sits and spins forever until you cancel him.  I keep my backups elsewhere so this caused a minor confusion with my upgrade.)

Anyway, no major cosmetic changes but some new fuctionality that I don't understand and don't see documented.  I see in the editor window a new tab called EXTRA which has two editing panes in it.  Where can I find out how to use this new tab...i.e. it's intended purpose?

Also, in the README, I see mention of this XMLRPC API.  Where can I find out how to exploit this functionality of BLOG which gives Blog the ability to post and retrieve from server-based blogging tools that support XMLRPC APIs?

Finally, will "about" version numbers (7.905) ever match Beta build version references elsewhere (Blog80Beta55setup.exe)?  Gets confusing... :|

Thanks for a great tool! :mrgreen:

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Re: the purpose of the "EXTRA" tab - latest beta
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 10:01:21 PM »
(a quick note - when the installer asks to backup and you say "yes", he takes you to the back up directory that you currently use for BLOG.  But, he assumes that this is the directory that he will find all the ".DAT" files in.  If this is NOT the case, then he errors-off and sits and spins forever until you cancel him.  I keep my backups elsewhere so this caused a minor confusion with my upgrade.)

I believe I fixed it after the release of Blog 8.0 beta 5 because I myself didn't notice this till then :p Thanks for pointing this out though ..

Anyway, no major cosmetic changes but some new fuctionality that I don't understand and don't see documented.  I see in the editor window a new tab called EXTRA which has two editing panes in it.  Where can I find out how to use this new tab...i.e. it's intended purpose?

The Extra tab is not documented at the moment because the functionality isn't actually present there at the moment :) It's for remote blogging via XMLRPC since some blogging tools such as Movable Type (and perhaps WordPress too, I forget now) support two extra attributes for a blog entry - a summary field which summarizes the post and a separate field for more of the post (instead of the current More ... tag used by Blog) for having a short entry followed by a link to the full entry for those who want to read more. I don't use these features myself in remote blogging systems and so I haven't bothered to develop the extra features yet :p

Also, in the README, I see mention of this XMLRPC API.  Where can I find out how to exploit this functionality of BLOG which gives Blog the ability to post and retrieve from server-based blogging tools that support XMLRPC APIs?

I don't know if I added the documentation for how to set up a blog under the new sysetm. But if you check the Servers dialog, you will notice that there are now a lot of different Server Types - not just Local and FTP but also different blogging systems. The ones which are listed are not the only ones which Blog supports but the listed ones are ones that I know support XMLRPC and with which Blog should work kind of well. I'll try to add more detailed documentation at a later date :)

Finally, will "about" version numbers (7.905) ever match Beta build version references elsewhere (Blog80Beta55setup.exe)?  Gets confusing... :|

This is something which comes up often and I believe is explained in at least one place on the forums - I should probably make that thread a sticky :p Basically, any version .9 version number in Blog is a beta - the .9 is an inverted "b" :p I do the versioning that way so that it is easier for me to identify the version transitions. So as soon as a beta for a new version starts, it becomes the old version .9 and something ... In this case 7.905 means it's 8.0 beta 5 :p Don't worry about it if it confuses you. Trust me when I say that it makes upgrading from an older version easy :)

Offline dleigh

• No flame
    • LeighWeb
Re: the purpose of the "EXTRA" tab - latest beta
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:59:25 PM »
Excellent detailed response!  Thanks! :mrgreen: