Author Topic: Error publishing to WordPress  (Read 6982 times)

Offline Wayfarer

• Bonfire
    • La Bitacora del Caminante
Error publishing to WordPress
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »
Hi,

I'm transfering my blog to a local Wordpress installation. I've configured everything: the server, the uploads... But when trying to publish, I get this error:

Error adding post: [postnumber] - parse error. not well formed

Change [postnumber] by the post number and multiply the error by the number of posts. Really annoying.

Any ideas?

-- Wayfarer
My website: www.thewayfarer.info
My search site: www.cannotbefound.com
My music: www.amadian.com

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Re: Error publishing to WordPress
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »
This is the latest Blog 8 beta, right? Have you synchronized the remote server with your Blog installation? And also synchronized categories? Those are the only things I can think of offhand but if that doesn't help, send me a databackup and I'll see if I can duplicate the issue here ...

Offline Wayfarer

• Bonfire
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:58:55 PM »
Hi,

It seems to be some kind of incompatibility issue between pagecodes and PHP versions. Error happens on a PHP5 server with UTF8 charset database on MySQL 5, both with Wordpress 2.3 and 2.6.

I'm testing it now with a PHP4 server with ISO latin1 charset database on MySQL 4, with Wordpress 2.3.3... and it's working.  :-)

There's still an issue: it just let me publish the latest entries, but not the archives. I'm going to give it another try.

I'll keep you informed.

-- Wayfarer

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »
I currently publish to the latest WordPress on a PHP5 and mySQL5 server and I don't have any issues with the publishing but it might be some sort of specific PHP or mySQL configuration issue. And I've been able to publish the archives without any issues.

Basically, when you set up a remote blog on Blog by linking the remote blog to a blog existing in Blog and then hit publish, all entries from Blog for the selected blog (the local one) should get published to the remote blog since Blog has no record of those entries being published to the remote one before. That's how it's supposed to work. (But that sentence had the word blog way too many times and so might have been really confusing :p)

Offline Wayfarer

• Bonfire
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »
I currently publish to the latest WordPress on a PHP5 and mySQL5 server and I don't have any issues with the publishing but it might be some sort of specific PHP or mySQL configuration issue. And I've been able to publish the archives without any issues.

Well, I've tested it with the latest WordPress on PHP5 and mySQL5, both in my local test server (Uniform Server) and on my Dreamhost hosting, and I get the same fail. Mind that my weblog is in spanish, so I'm using accentuated characters and the letter . Also, I'm using Blog since version 5 (if I remember correctly) and my current version is 8 Beta7, so there can be some kind of incompatibility after all the upgrades.

Basically, when you set up a remote blog on Blog by linking the remote blog to a blog existing in Blog and then hit publish, all entries from Blog for the selected blog (the local one) should get published to the remote blog since Blog has no record of those entries being published to the remote one before. That's how it's supposed to work. (But that sentence had the word blog way too many times and so might have been really confusing :p)

Yes, it's working that way. Then there's really no need to use the 'publish archives' feature when publishing to Wordpress.

Btw, there should be no confussion between Blog (the software) and blog (the site), but anyway that paragraph makes me recall that Monty Python sketch :-P

I'm still testing, anyway...

-- Wayfarer

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:08:20 PM »
Ah, I had forgotten accents :) Yeah, they do create issues. I had to do a whole bunch of exception processing to get around that but it's not completely sorted out. If I ever recompile in the latest Delphi (which supports unicode) this issue might be gone, or might not ... But yes, that would be due to how mySQL might be encoding characters on the server and also how PHP reacts to the accents. There definitely could be an issue. Send me a data backup if you'd like me to see if there's a quick fix :)

Yeah, "Publish Archives" is a holdover from Blog classic. You don't really need to use that if you're publishing to a remote server :)