Author Topic: Some Blog Questions  (Read 7252 times)

Offline johndem

• No flame
Some Blog Questions
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:33:26 PM »
Hi,

First of all thanks for the great program!!!

I have a few questions about Blog that I can't seem to work out myself.

1. Is it possible for category pages to have page breaks. So that not all the articles of one category are publishes on one laaaaarge page, but rather neatly on different pages.

2. Can you add different MetaTags to individual entry pages? I would like to add description metatags to each entry.

3. Is it possible to create a sidebar navigational menu displaying all the categories?

I hope someone can shine a light on these issues.

In any case, thanks for reading!
John

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
    • http://www.farook.org
Re: Some Blog Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
1. Is it possible for category pages to have page breaks. So that not all the articles of one category are publishes on one laaaaarge page, but rather neatly on different pages.

It has been so long since I've used (or worked on the features for) Blog classic that I'm not sure of the answers myself. The category feature was not fully developed since Blog changed from a standalone program to something which would publish to a remote server. So this probably isn't there. Sorry :-(

2. Can you add different MetaTags to individual entry pages? I would like to add description metatags to each entry.

Yes, you should be able to do this quite easily via the individual page template. Each template allows you to put in whatever you want by way of HTML code. Only the Blog tags are taken into consideration by Blog.

3. Is it possible to create a sidebar navigational menu displaying all the categories?

Again, I'm not sure about this. Is there a reason that you prefer Blog classic to publishing to a remote server? I can check to see if that feature can be implemented easily if you are really keen on it. Depending on time, of course :)

Offline johndem

• No flame
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:21:51 PM »
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!
I appreciate it very much...

1. That's too bad... I fear my category pages get too big this way.

2. Yes, I could do this, but then I'll need a lot of different templates.

3. I'm not sure I understand your question. :-) 
But I like the security and performance of static html pages.
Also when using a remote script, there a little too many security updates for my liking.

John

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:59:35 AM »
1. That's too bad... I fear my category pages get too big this way.
If you decide to go the classic Blog route and you stick with Blog, then I'll see what I can do about redoing the category pages :) I haven't been doing much coding on Blog recently due to the fact that unlike the early days, there aren't that many Blog users and the application meets my own blogging needs. But of course, I like to add whatever feature that helps users as well ...

2. Yes, I could do this, but then I'll need a lot of different templates.
My apologies, I had missed the fact that you were talking about the "Description" and that it would have to be different for each entry. I was thinking of a static meta tag included in the entry template. Again, this could be made possible via the introduction of a few new fields but it would depend on the ultimate route you take as well as my own time constraints :)

3. I'm not sure I understand your question. smiley
But I like the security and performance of static html pages.
Basically, Blog can also act as a local post composer/editor and let you publish to a blogging application installed on your server. This is how I use Blog myself - I publish to a WordPress installation on my server via Blog. I don't like the WordPress web-based editor and I prefer the WYSIWYG functionality that Blog provides. Of course, that means I lose out on some functionality that the WordPress interface provides, such as the ability to specify the meta keywords and description for each post.

If you want static HTML pages, there are still a couple of remote blogging platforms which provide this - MovableType comes immediately to mind. Of course, any remote installation means that you have to have a server where you can install it (meaning that the server should have PHP, mySQL etc.) and that you have to keep up with all security updates. So in that sense, Blog does work better.

But do think about the options and possibilities and let me know if you decide to go ahead with Blog. Since it's a spare time project and time is at a premium for me at the moment, I obviously do not want to commit a lot of time to features which might not be needed by anybody else. Especially given that you might decide not to use Blog a month down the line :) So if you are committed to it and I can find the time, I will add the necessary features.

Offline johndem

• No flame
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »
Thanks again so much for your reply!
I appreciate your concern a lot.

Basically, the site I want to start is sort of "side-project".
That is, once it is up, I want to mainly spend my time building content and not with things like security updates and scalability problems. (as you know, the performance of static html pages is superior to anything generated dynamically)

With static pages, if the site grows substantially, I do not have to move hosts or upgrade my hosting package so soon. I have more breathing space, so to speak.

To go back to the issue of security updates, it is not just applying the updates that bothers me. But, If you change something in the wordpress (or plugins) code to improve security or in your templates etc. with every new update you have to make these changes again.  And even with the latest security updates, wordpress remains insecure. With static pages if your site gets hacked you simply reupload all the pages you have on your harddisk...

I have considered Movable Type. But I read stories about the rebuilding process putting too much weight on the server, as well the time it takes for visitors to post comments. (for static pages I would use a service like js-kit for comments) I donīt know if the new MT versions still have this problem, but the MT forum doesnīt look like Iīm going to get a reply fast. :-D

I owe you big time, for even considering implementing those features into Blog. But unfortunately, I canīt say for sure that Iīll be using Blog a month from now.  I have been busy finding a content management solution for 4 months now. I had even built up my site in wordpress, but as I explained above it, is not a sustainable solution for my situation.

I do not want to give up the project just yet, because I think it can become a popular site, but right now there is a bit of an impasse... :x

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:52:21 AM »
I'd say give MT a try and see how it works for you :) I used it, switched over to WP, switched back to MT and have now switched back to WP again. I never had issues with the page re-building creating too much load and comments are indeed a bit slow but people still posted comments because the slowness comes up only when they submit a comment. So overall, that might work for you - or it might not but you won't know till you give it a shot :)

If that doesn't work and you are still looking at Blog a few weeks down the line, do let me know. I'm totally busy at the moment between multiple projects and don't have much time to code Blog. But if I've got the time later on and you are still interested in using Blog, I'll code up at least some of the stuff you wanted since the meta tags and getting the categories in a dropdown should be easy enough to implement ...

Offline johndem

• No flame
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
Thank you.

Yes, I think that would be the smartest thing to do.
I still have some reservations about MT, but maybe some MT experts can clear that up for me. I will go after it.

Should it not work out, I'll let you know.

Thanks so much for your offer, and for the advice!. You're very kind.

It really helps when someone gives you some pointers every now and then. :-)

Thanks again.
John

p.s: Should I use MT for my site, I'll still let you know when I launch it.

Offline Fahim

• Administrator
  • Inferno
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 08:31:50 PM »
You're welcome :) And of course, Blog will work for posting to MT as well ... But some people don't like MT and I don't particularly like the direction they've taken with MT 4. Of course, YMMV. Good luck on your search and hope it works out!

Offline johndem

• No flame
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 03:02:49 AM »
Yeah, I hope so too.

Thanks again, Fahim!
You've been the most helpful person in my search for a good solution. :mrgreen:

Offline Wayfarer

• Bonfire
    • La Bitacora del Caminante
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »
Hi!

Maybe it's a bit late to post an answer, but I've just came in and seen this thread...

About the categories on the sidebar (question #3), I'm using this code on my template:

Code: [Select]
<DL>
<DT>Temas
<BlogArchives>
<DD><A href="<$BlogArcCatFile>"><$BlogArcCatText></A>
</BlogArchives>
</DD></DL>

You can see the results on my web: http://www.thewayfarer.info/ Check the sidebards and look at the section titled "Temas" Each item links to a category page.

'Monster' category pages can be an issue, but think that those pages with loads of text are well indexed by Google... so you can get a lot of visits to your category pages ;-)

Let me know if this helps you. Regards,

-- Wayfarer
My website: www.thewayfarer.info
My search site: www.cannotbefound.com
My music: www.amadian.com